CKLS has a dual commitment to continuing education. We provide learning opportunities for System staff members and trustees, and offer training sessions for the staff and trustees of member libraries. Librarians and trustees from member libraries are encouraged to have a written policy supporting local, regional System, and state continuing education programs.
The Continuing Education Department:
- Increases the skills and knowledge of librarians and trustees so they may provide the best possible library service to their communities.
- Acquaints librarians and trustees with library trends and developments.
- Develops learning activities and experiences for member librarians and trustees.
- Includes opportunities to coordinate activities with other Systems and other agencies.
- Provides technology training for local librarians as time and staff schedules permit.
Continuing Education Grant
What can the CKLS CE grant buy?
- Travel to and from events including mileage at the IRS rate
- Parking while attending events
- Registration for library-related events
- All fees related to library-related college classes
- All fees related to library-related workshops including commerical, e.g., Fred Pryor
- Overnight rooms
- Salaries for librarian and staff during workshop time when they are not scheduled to be working.
- Salaries for non-volunteer replacement doing the librarian’s or staff job while the regular librarian or staff member is attending a CE event.
- Memberships in state, regional or national organizations, e.g., KLA, KLTA, MPLA, ALA, etc.
What can the CE grant not buy?
- Salaries of volunteers. Volunteers work free.
Annual CE Report
- Report form This is a Word document.
To download this report as a Word document, look in the upper left corner of the page, under the words Google Doc,
click File -> Download Original.
If this does not pop it up in Word, look in your downloads folder or search your computer for Report.doc
Example CE grant calculation for attending the Summer Library Program
In this example, the librarian is bringing the person who helps with the Summer Library Program.
Travel time from Library Town to Salina according to Mapquest = 1.5 hours
Workshop time is from 9 am to 3 pm = 6 hours
Travel time from Salina to Library Town according to Mapquest = 1.5 hours
Total travel and workshop time = 9 hours
(We do not care whether the mileage estimates come from a Web site or your odometer.)
The day of the workshop library is open from 1 to 5 = 4 hours
- Librarian’s salary for the four hours the library is open even though the librarian is at the workshop.
The CE grant pays:
- Librarian’s salary for 5 hours when the library is not open (9 hours – 4 hours the library was open = 5 hours)
- If the other person attending the workshop is not a volunteer, then that person gets paid for 9 hours.
- If the person running the library from 1-5 pm is also not a volunteer, then the grant pays the salary of that person for those 4 hours.
- Round trip mileage for one car between Your Town and Salina (195 miles) at IRS rate ($.51) = $99.45
- Lunch for two people = $12