Rural Services

Rural residents in Central Kansas without a library in their taxing district have several options for library services.

  • Residents can use public libraries in nearby towns because some public library funding for these libraries comes from the Central Kansas Library System. The Central Kansas Library System is funded from a mill levy of rural property in 16 counties of the CKLS region. Residents of Pawnee County do not pay a mill levy to CKLS.
  • Central Kansas Library System provides two direct services residents living outside towns with libraries. People living inside towns with local libraries are not eligible for these two services.
    • Books by Mail
    • Phone from home
  • The Kansas Library Card provides easy access to online resources, including ebooks and downloadable audiobooks . Any Kansas public, school or college library can issue a Kansas Library Card. Kansans who live in the CKLS region, but not in a town with a library, can obtain cards from the Resource Sharing and Access Department at 800-362-2642.
  • Sunflower eLibrary (To use Sunflower eLibrary you must obtain a library card from your local library or from CKLS)
  • Digital Book eLending from the State Library of Kansas
  • Large Print Lending Collection is also available for those who qualify.