Summer Library Program
- Published on Tuesday, 15 February 2011 19:36
- Written by Administrator
The Children's Summer Library Program is for preschool and school age children. The program is developed to offer constructive incentives for the children to visit the library and to read.
The emphasis on reading is for the pure joy of reading and not for worrying about reading grade levels and book reports. By offering the summer program in the public libraries, the children will have available to them a wide range of materials. We may never form an avid reader from among all the children but they will possess a degree of library literacy and the importance of libraries in their communities for the rest of their lives.
The philosophy of the System is to develop a fun, informative, non-competitive theme related summer library program. The reluctant, or poor reader will consider a competitive program as an overwhelming hurdle and won't even come into the library to sign up for the program.
CKLS offers Incentive Grants for conducting story time sessions.
Upcoming and Past Summer Library Program Themes
- 2013 - Dig Into Reading
- 2012 - Dream Big - Read!
- 2011 - One World, Many Stories
- 2010 - Make a Splash-Read!
- 2009 - Be Creative @ Your Library
- 2008 - Catch the Reading Bug (Harry Bliss, artist)
- 2007 - Get a Clue @ Your Library (Mark Teague, artist)
- 2006 - Paws, Claws, Scales, and Tales (David Shannon, artist)
- 2005 - Dragons, Dreams, and Daring Deeds (Steven Kellogg, artist)
- 2004 - Discover New Trails @ Your Library (Mark Bruehner, artist)
- 2003 - Laugh It Up @ Your Library! (Nadine Barnard Westcott, artist)
- 2002 - Join the Winners Circle - READ (Winky Adams, artist)
- 2001 - Reading Road Trip (Highsmith)
- 2000 - The Edge Of Adventure (David Wiesner, artist)
- 1999 - Treasure Your Library (Highsmith)
- 1998 - Be A Kansas Star- Read! (performing arts/space) (Diane Dollar, artist)
- 1997 - 97 Bazillion Ways to Read (Patrick Schlotterback, artist)
- 1996 - Kansas Kids Read! (Ken Raney, artist)
- 1995 - Arts on Parade (Brad Sneed, artist)
- 1994 - A Whale of a Tale (tall tales/ocean)
- 1993 - Protect Our Earth: Read, Recycle, Respect (environmental)
- 1992 - Read: Discover in 1992 (multicultural)
- 1991 - Feed Your Mind--READ! (food)
- 1990 - Affection Connection: Our Animal Friends
- 1989 - Where the Rainbow Ends (Wizard of Oz)
- 1988 - Dinosaur Daze
- 1987 - Fantastic Fantasy Machine (time travel)
- 1986 - Super Summer Adventures (travel)
- 1985 - Sun Spots (summer activities)
- 1984 - Snooper 'n Sleuth (mystery)
- 1983 - Dial H for Hero
- 1982 - The Old West
- 1981 - Magic Castle
- 1980 - The World is Yours at the Library (multicultural)
- 1979 - Sea Treasure
- 1978 - Out of This World (space travel)
- 1977 - Dinosaur Summer