Pathfinder Central Trail Blazers
What it is: A procedural and policy creating committee to resolve issues that arise from 40 libraries sharing 685,538 items.
What will it do? The committee will meet when an issue arises, or is presented to the committee. They will discuss the issue and possible solutions. The committee will draft a policy (or procedure) to prevent or fix the issue. The committee will vote on the policy to enact it into the system. All policies will be posted on the CKLS website and presented to the Pathfinder Central Libraries.
What policies and procedures will it create? The committee will create policies and procedures to resolve issues that arise during PILL services.
Will a library retain its preferences and autonomy? A library will keep control of their records, items, and patrons. The committee is set to resolve issues for how to handle shared resources procedures, etc.
How will the committee get policies approved? The committee will write and vote on the rules, policies and procedures. There will be an appeal process available.
Who will serve on the committee? The committee will consist of 7 voting members: 5 volunteer librarians who are voted in each year by the 40 Pathfinder Central Libraries; the Pathfinder Central Manager and the ILL Manager from CKLS. Committee members will be from Pathfinder Central libraries all over the system. There will be no attempt to ensure that all sized libraries are represented. Any library can have no more than one staff member on the committee.
How long will they serve? Committee members will serve staggered 3 year terms. Each volunteer member must be voted in by members, one vote per library, of the 40 Pathfinder Central libraries for each term they serve. Volunteer members can serve only two consecutive terms, then they must be off the committee for at least one year before being eligible to serve more terms. The Pathfinder Central manager will keep track of each member's terms.
How often will the committee meet? The Committee will meet only when there is an issue to discuss and resolve.
PILL Remediation Steps
The Pathfinder Central Trail Blazers committee created a plan for remedial action to help libraries struggling with PILL get the training and support they need to be an efficient and active member on PILL lending and borrowing.
Step 1: Get the library staff a mentor and additional training
Library takes steps to learn best practices and procedures and integrate the routine into daily, weekly and monthly activities.
Step 2: One on one discussion with Pathfinder Manager.
Working with the Pathfinder Manager, a plan is created to help the library meet goals. Library works to maintain consistent and efficient use of best practices and procedures.
Step 3: Trailblazers Review (library experiencing difficulty will appear before the committee and be subject to review).
Working with the committee, the plan is reviewed and implemented to best help the library achieve PILL best practices.
Step 4: Loss of Courier.
After sufficient warnings, discussions, trainings, and support, the library will be taken off the courier plan.
Step 5: Removal from Pathfinder Central.
After continued refusal to meet PILL best practices and procedures, the library will be given their cataloging data and be removed from Pathfinder Central Consortia Catalog. CKLS will provide advice and support to find a new catalog and transfer data.
Between each step, the library will be given time to learn the procedures and best practices and to train staff as needed.
Most issues will be resolved with Steps 1 & 2.
Few issues will not be resolved by Step 3.
Rarely will an issue reach Steps 4 or 5.
PILL Replacement Fund
The CKLS PILL Replacement Fund reimburses the Lending Library for items that were lost through Pathfinder Interlibrary Loan (PILL) from another Pathfinder Central library. The PILL replacement fund makes lending "risk-free" for Lending Libraries.
- The Borrowing Library is responsible for submitting claims for lost PILL items.
- Please submit your claim within one year of the due date of each lost item. Please wait at least two months beyond the due date before filing a claim.
- Claims will be paid out with a new or like new copy.
PILL Damaged or Lost Items (By a Patron) Reimbursement Procedure
When a patron returns a PILL item that has been damaged, or the item is long overdue or lost, Borrowing Library waits 2 months from the final due date for patron to return items, or pay replacement costs. Costs are determined by Lending Library’s policy. After 2 months, Borrowing Library pays the Lending Library for replacement of item. If lost item is returned, consult with Lending Library for reimbursement options.
- Items that the patron has lost or are long overdue. Lending library (DO NOT CHECK IN). Mark record as PILL Lost or Damaged.
- Items that are lost in transit (either via courier or mail) will need to be replaced using funds from the ILL Materials Replacement Fund. You can find the procedure on the Southeast Kansas Library System's Website
- Count CDs, Tapes, DVDs, and other media components when returning such items. Recover lost discs, etc as necessary before returning to Lending Library.
- Long Overdue/Lost Items:
- Run a PILL Overdue Report to track overdue PILL items your library patrons have borrowed.
- Send notices to patrons before the 2 month period is up.
- Returned Damaged Items:
- Borrowing Library—DO NOT CHECK ITEM IN.
- Fill out Damaged Item Form and attach it to item.
- Return Item to lending library to determine cost of repair/replacement. (Please date and initial form)
- Once lending library has determined the cost, add the fee amount to patron’s account.
- In the notes field, give detailed information about why the fee was given.
- Before lending an item, note previous damage on inside cover of the item or in the notes field of the item record.
- Returned Damaged Items:
- DO NOT CHECK ITEM IN.
- Mark item record as PILL Lost or Damaged.
- Determine cost of repair/replacement according to lending library’s existing policy.
- Inform borrowing library the cost.
- Borrowing library will add the fee to the patron’s account.
Pathfinder Central Patron Account Maintenance
- #790 Patron categories, with count
- #800 Patron barcodes in use
- #807 Search by email address
- #829 Search by Phone #
- #872 Patrons with items due a specific date
- #1001 Patrons With Fines
- #1139 Patron Email Lists
- #1188 Duplicate Patrons
- #1193 Duplicate Patrons at One Branch
- #1199 Patrons in a Category (linked)
- #1200 Juvenile to Adult—Patron List Will show patrons in JUV category who are over 18 years old
- #1204 Patron List—will ask for branch and patron category
- #1262 List of Patrons awaiting holds
- #1352 Patrons—Complete Lists (By Branch)
- #1381 Patrons w/ Items Issued Today
Pathfinder Central Cataloging
When materials are sent to Technical Services at CKLS, the catalogers take the record and pull it into Pathfinder. If the record does not exist yet, an original record is created for the item.
Pathfinder Central Staff Training
Resource Sharing Timeline (PILL and ILL daily, weekly, monthly task checklist)
Pathfinder Central is a catalog of the items owned by a consortium of Central Kansas Library System libraries. Patrons of Pathfinder Central libraries may place holds and borrow materials from any of the nearly half a million items listed. Local libraries can issue a login and password to their patrons so that the catalog may be searched and used from any internet-capable computer or mobile device.
CKLS administers the catalog and provides support services to member libraries using Pathfinder Central..
Pathfinder Tutorial Videos
so Parents can see what items their children have checked out.
Logging into Pathfinder Staff Client
Did you know that Logging into the Staff side of Pathfinder Central should take only 2 steps?
1) Put in your Username.
2) Put in your Password and hit enter.
You do not need to select "My Library" from the drop down menu. You will be automatically set as your default home library!
Why is this important?
Many people have been accidentally selecting the wrong library. So all of their transactions are being credited to the wrong library and all the books they check in are set to the wrong current location.
What if I'm set as the wrong library?
- Stay logged in.
- Go to the top right corner of the Koha Staff Client window.
- See the name of the library your are set as: Central Kansas Library System. Click (Set library).
- Select your library from the drop down menu that appears.
- Click Set.
- Double Check you are set as the correct library by checking the top right corner of the window.
Pathfinder Central Interlibrary Loan