2015 New Trustee Training
Register for this event.
Tuesday, June 2, 2015: Wilson
Wednesday, June 3: Minneapolis
Wednesday, June 10: Mankato
Thursday, June 11: Plainville
All workshops are from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
This workshop is free.
The CKLS CE grant will pay all travel and meal expenses related to this workshop.
No meal is served at this event, but you could eat at a restaurant before attending the event.
New library trustees start in May. This workshop is for new trustees, experienced trustees, and librarians wanting to learn about being a good trustee. Starting with a list of trustee “responsibilities”, this workshop describes basic responsibilities, slowing periodically, to emphasis important points. The following topics will be covered.
What is the proper relationship between librarian and library board?
What is the source of library funding?
What is the budget cycle?
What are the eligibility requirements for receiving the System grant?
If boards have seven members, why is a quorum now five?
What is an executive session?
What are the ethics board members should follow?
What is a Capital Improvement Fund.
Who should sign library checks?
If someone asks to see board documents, how soon must you supply them?
What should you be telling your local government officials?
What are the goals of the CKLS Strategic Plan?
We look forward to seeing you at this event.
2015 Spring Forward
655 Solomon Ln, Tipton, KS 67485
Fun and learning, learning and fun!
This year’s conference contains the following fun presentations and interactive activities.
- Customer service through better communication are two themes during both days of the conference.
- Where and how customer service occurs in the library
- Delivering customer service through your computers
- How to TREAT tricky patron situations
- Writing better letters, email, and talking on the telephone
- Writing emotionally intelligent signs that make people not want to do that
- Motivating employees by showing appreciation: five languages of appreciation at work
- Six habits for finding out what people want and completely answering their questions.
- Lunch with your legislator
- Lightning Rounds
- CKLS Competitive Equipment Grant
- Glen Elder’s LEGO Robotics Club
- Demonstration of a 3-D printer
The evening activity for the first day will be heroic crafts plus talk and laughter.