- Created on Tuesday, 15 February 2011 19:31
- Last Updated on Friday, 13 April 2012 17:04
The Story Time Program could be a child's first introduction to books and sharing of stories in a group experience. These visits to the library may be a child's and their parents only experiences in using public library services. Story time needs to be a special occasion that children can look forward to each week.
When planning the program you will need to select the best in children's literature and to select material appropriate for a specific age group. The Youth Services Department has several resources available to make your story time imaginative and enjoyable. The resources available for loan will help you cut purchasing expenses and save time in creating your own storytelling materials.
- Created on Tuesday, 15 February 2011 17:02
- Last Updated on Friday, 14 February 2014 14:39
|Marquita Boehnke, Department Head
| Patty Collins, Consultant
Crystal Hutchinson, Assistant
CKLS Youth Sevices department assists librarians in meeting the information and recreation reading needs of children and young adults by encouraging the librarians to create meaningful programs for children. Through materials provided by CKLS, local librarians can encourage children to read and enjoy books.
The Youth Services Department:
- Provides printed materials for an annual Summer Library Program for all ages (preschool through sixth grade) at no cost to the local library.
- Offers on-site consulting for librarians and encourage children and young adult services in member libraries.
- Assesses and evaluates collections, and coordinates collection development.
- Coordinates Summer Library programs and special events.
- Develops continuing education activities for librarians and children's program volunteers.
- Supplies project resource books for planning story time programs.
- Maintains and offers a central collection of specialized resources such as filmstrips, puppets, tape and video cassettes and other story aids for loan for use in member libraries.
- Offers examination copies of children's and young adult books for preview before purchase.
Member librarians call or write to request services. Librarians are encouraged to schedule in advance materials needed for story time programs and summer library programs. Librarians may request training programs for their volunteers, which may include programming ideas and tips on the use of CKLS resources. Librarians order preview books by checking a bibliography of the preview books and asking CKLS Children's Department to send them.